Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Thai Pad Krapow

Here's a healthier recipe than the Storm Lobster. This is a great weeknight meal. Be sure to get your mise en place ready before you begin cooking. It assembles very quickly if everything is ready. 

Sodium: If you're concerned about sodium, play around with the amounts of fish sauce/soy sauce. We've found that it doesn't change the flavor very much when certain amounts are reduced or replaced with low sodium versions. I'll post both the reduced and full original amounts.

 Spicyness: This is supposed to be a very spicy dish. I've done 3 jalepenos and found I couldn't feel the burn. I've done 5 and found that to be almost too much and it started overwhelming the flavors. I've done 4 and found it to be a little too little. You may want to play around depending on how much you can take.

 Slicing: We have a mandolin which makes it easy to slice the onion and hot peppers.

 Chiffonade: You will want to chiffonade the basil leaves. If unsure how to do this, check out this video.

In a skillet, sautee:
2 Tbsp Oil
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 onion, diced
6 Birds Eye Chilis or 4-5 Jalepenos, sliced(depending on what you can get at the store)

Add and brown: 1 1/2 pound ground chicken or turkey

When meat is cooked through, add seasonings:
3 1/2 Tbsp Thai Fish Sauce (or 2 Tbsp for reduced sodium)
2 T Dark Soy Sauce (or 4 if you are replacing some of the Fish Sauce with reduced sodium soy sauce) 1 Tbsp Brown Sugar

 Let the liquid cook down a little and continue to stir.

 Then add:
1 Tbsp Thai Red Chili Paste
1 Bell Pepper, chopped 

Just before it's ready, add the:
1 bunch Thai Basil or Italian Basil, chiffonade 

Stir briefly so the basil slightly wilts but is still vibrant.

Serve over brown rice.

No comments: