Saturday, January 14, 2012

Black Midnight Cake with Double Boiler Frosting

By popular demand, here it is.

Black Midnight Cake

2/3 Cup soft shortening
1 2/3 Cups sugar
3 eggs
2 1/4 Cup Cake Flour
2/3 Cup Cocoa (unsweetened powder)
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 1/3 cups water
1 tsp vanilla

Heat oven to 350. Grease/flour two round layer pans.

Cream shortening, sugar, and eggs until fluffy. Beat 5 minutes on high speed then take the speed down to low.

Measure flour with dip-level-pour method or by sifting. Blend the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl: flour, cocoa, baking powder, soda, and salt.

While continuing to gently mix the egg/shortening, add the dry ingredients to wet and alternate with the water and vanilla. To give the dry and wet some time to incorporate. Mix until fairly smooth.

Pour into pans.

Bake round layer for about 35 minutes until toothpicks come out clean.

Although I frosted the cake with cream cheese frosting, I usually use double boiler frosting for this one. So here's that recipe.

Double Boiler Frosting

2 egg whites
1 1/2 Cups sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/3 Cup water
1 tsp vanilla

Mix all ingredients except vanilla in the top of a double boiler. Place over boiling water. Beat with rotary beater until stiff peaks form. Scrape bottom and sides of pan occasionally. Fold in vanilla.

2 comments:

Janice said...

If I had the equipment - I'd do it!

Janice said...

If I had the equipment - I'd do it!