Here's a recipe and a story.
I was trying out these nuts as a possible gift idea for folks around the holiday season. I made a huge test batch and had far more nuts than I wanted to/needed to/should eat. I thought they were delicious but I also wanted other opinions.
So, I sent them to the convenient stomachs of The Husband's co-workers. Snacks are always welcome at the salon for both customers and fellow stylists alike. I dropped them off one Saturday morning, did a little shopping, then returned to say "Hi" to the husband.
I walk in through the din of hairdryers and house music. And one of the stylists, Dottie, shouted out to me, "Marisa, you're not so wonderful!"
Imagine my surpise. I found myself trying to process this unusual statement. Had my husband been discussing some of my virtues: smart, funny, basically nice and then moved onto my flaws: messy, aloof, mildly selfish? And then Dottie took it upon herself to let me know? Had there been a specific instance where I wronged her personally? Why would someone tell me that I'm Not So Wonderful? It implies that at one point, Dottie thought I was wonderful and somehow I'd disillusioned her. But I didn't really know Dottie all that well to begin with.
I was visibly puzzled and clearly was not giving her the response she was expecting. So, she reiterated, "You're Not So Wonderful!"
"Ooooo-Kayyyy," I said.
Finally, there was clarity. Dottie was saying, "Marisa, You're Nuts Are Wonderful."
So, these became My Not So Wonderful Nuts.
3 Tbsp Butter (melted)
1 Tbsp Dried Rosemary
1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 Cups Nuts - (I like mixing walnuts, pecans, cashews. Walnuts are the best because they are a bit pourous and absorb the butter and shatter in your mouth just like really crispy bacon. Almonds are nice but are firm and aren't like walnuts.)
Directions:
Pre-heat oven to 350.
Melt butter on stovetop, add rosemary, cayenne, salt. When you get used to the recipe you can increase/decrease the cayenne and/or salt. Note that your kitchen will start to smell very good at this point.
Pour butter mixture over nuts and stir to coat.
Spread nuts on baking sheet and place in oven for 5-7 minutes. Do not let burn. Burnt nuts are bitter angry things.
Tuesday, November 29, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment