Tuesday, October 28, 2008

One of the Most Delicious Sandwiches Derek Ever Had

Derek's Story

******************

After our first nap we woke up in the Inn, and I was quite hungry. Still unclear about what Grindavik had to offer, we had the hotel drive us there. Thinking that there'd be a pub or two. I mean, it's Europe, right?

Although our friendly driver did advise us to go to a Gas Station/Grill, we thought we'd do better heading off on our own.

We were wrong.

After several locked doors and little hope and maybe running into one other person on the chilly streets, oddly enough we ran into our driver again who returned us to the Gas Station/Grill.

Now, although, I had it in my head that I'd have a proper restaurant meal, even with the rather stark conditions and the state of my growling stomach, the Gas Station/Grill suddenly became the gateway to something fantastic.

There was no English anywhere, but the menu on the wall had large pictures of sandwiches and fried things. I pointed to one picture of what looked like the most decadent of the sandwiches. Marisa pointed to something that looked like fish and chips.



And we waited at a near by table located in a solarium off the side of the gas station.



After a brief wait, we were warmly presented with our food. What was in front of me was about the most amazing burger I had ever seen. A slightly oversized, juicy patty with cheese, strips of bacon, some sort of special sauce, and a sunny side-up egg plopped right in the middle.

So, between the jet laggedness, the hunger, the bizarrely strange other world we were in, this seemed a jewel direct from heaven.

And the first bite confirmed that, indeed, it was.

Not sure if it's in the itinerary to make it back to the Gas Station/Grill in Grindavik, but if we do, I know what pictured sandwich on the wall I'm 'pointing to'.

1 comment:

Marisa Wallace said...

I must say that re-reading this post at work has totally made me want to go to the Gas Station/Grill on day 1 in Iceland.

The Fish and Chips were really yummy.